dp spotlight sf Recipe: Boeuf aux Carottes with Chef Romain
We're so lucky to have friend of Sunday Farms, Chef Romain Avril, share this classic recipe with us: his Boeuf Aux Carottes.
The French-born chef has a resume that boasts many Michelin-starred restaurants, practice in molecular gastronomy, and ambassadorship for countless brands.
For the last few years, Chef Romain has been living in Toronto, opening up a plethora of impressive restaurants. Needless to say, you can rest assured that a recipe coming from the kitchen of Chef Romain is a recipe you'll want to make...
Looking for a warm hug in a dish with a sophisticated twist? This is it.
Chef Romain’s Boeuf Aux Carottes serves 4. It can also be frozen and enjoyed again on a night you don’t feel like cooking!
1 lb 100% grass fed stew beef (cubed)
6 rashes of smoked bacon (diced)
300 ml red wine
3 large carrots (large chunks)
2 stalks celery (sliced)
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
½ onion (diced)
2 shallots (diced)
3 sprigs thyme
1 sprig rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 litre beef stock
Salt & pepper
1) Bring the beef to room temperature and dry it out on paper towel. Heat up a heavy-bottom pan with oil.
2) Season with salt and sear the beef on high heat (in batches if necessary). Once the beef has good colour, remove from the pan and let it rest.
3) Lower the heat, and in the same pan add the bacon and render if for a minute.
4) Add the onion and shallots and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, garlic, herbs and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5) Deglaze with the red wine, and reduce it by 2/3.
6) Add the stock, then the beef back in. Give it all a good stir.
7) Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if needed.
8) Once done cooking, give it a taste and adjust your seasoning if necessary. Discard the herbs, and serve!
Chef Romain’s Tip!
This dish is best accompanied with fresh pasta, rice, or mash potatoes - Bon appétit!